Doha, 23 April 2020
Masraf Al Rayan today announced that it achieved a net profit of QAR 547 million during the first quarter of 2020, an increase of 0.5% compared to the same period last year.
HE Mr. Ali Bin Ahmed Al Kuwari, Chairman and Managing Director, said: “The results achieved are quite satisfactory especially in light of the adverse conditions the world is presently witnessing. The spread of the COVID-19 global pandemic, the sharp plunge in oil prices, the decline in stock exchange indices along with the imminent economic recession have together had an extremely adverse impact on almost all the global economies.”
Mr. Al Kuwari further added, “In the midst of all these, the confidence-building measures undertaken by the Government of the State of Qatar with a view towards propping up the national economy, in particular the private sector, deserves commendation. There is no doubt that we are going through challenging times. However, we will spare no effort in ensuring the continued growth and development of Masraf Al Rayan.”
Mr. Adel Mustafawi, Group CEO, maintained that the results are a reflection of the strong ratios the bank continues to maintain in all its key financial indicators.
Mr. Mustafawi further elaborated on the financial results as follows:
- Total assets reached QAR 109,058 million, compared to QAR 100,314 million as of 31 March 2019, a growth of 8.7%
- Finance activities amounted to QAR 79,265 million, compared to QAR 75,878 million as of 31 March 2019, an increase of 4.5%
- Investments increased to QAR 21,626 million, compared to QAR 20,041 million as of 31 March 2019, recording a growth of 7.9%
- Customer deposits totaled QAR 67,730 million, compared to QAR 64,444 million as of 31 March 2019, increasing by 5.1%
- Total shareholders' equity reached QAR 12,745 million, compared to QAR 12,329 million as of 31 March 2019, a growth of 3.4%
- Return on average assets is 2.03%
- Return on average shareholders' equity is 16.41%
- Earnings per share reached QAR 0.073.
- Book value per share reached QAR 1.70 compared to QAR 1.64 as of 31 March 2019
- Capital adequacy ratio, using Basel-III standards and QCB regulations, reached 19.89% compared to 19.28% as of 31 March 2019
- Operational efficiency ratio (cost to income ratio) stood at 22.71% and remained as one of the best ratios in the region.
- Non-performing financing (NPF) ratio reached 0.94% reflecting strong and prudent credit and risk management policies and procedures
Masraf Al Rayan Products & Services
Masraf Al Rayan continues to focus on providing integrated Sharia-compliant banking solutions for both retail and corporate customers in order to meet their increasing and varied needs, and on developing technology-based banking services made available in various forms and applications to ensure the best customer service at all times.
Human Resources and Training
Masraf Al Rayan attaches the highest importance to the training and development of its employees in general, with a keen focus on developing its Qatari manpower in particular, in line with the strategies of the Bank. Its various departments act in an integrated and diligent manner to raise the professional and administrative competencies and skills of their employees in cooperation with the various state agencies and specialized local and international training centres. The training programs cover various theoretical and practical aspects and also include programs for the administrative development of Qataris, such as our participation in the program ‘KWADER’, which is specially designed for the financial sector, and is conducted annually by the Qatar Academy of Finance and Business.
Our employees are now offered a wide range of e-learning opportunities. Such projects include the ‘video training’ project and the technical education project ‘Electronic’ from Fitch International, Collier and Quality (ASQ Certification). These projects are destined to upgrade the expertise of our employees in banking and financing.
On-the-job training opportunities also form a key part of our employees’ career growth plans at Masraf Al Rayan.
Corporate Governance in Masraf Al Rayan
The Bank continues to focus on fulfilling all the governance requirements issued by Qatar Central Bank and Qatar Financial Markets Authority, with a view towards achieving enhanced transparency, justice and protection of rights. Masraf Al Rayan takes pride in being at the forefront of adopting the latest best practices in corporate governance that meet international benchmarks.
Commitment to the Society and the Environment
Masraf Al Rayan is committed to fulfilling its obligation towards the environment and the society, by adopting a solid corporate social responsibility culture, especially in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. In line with the Government’s as well as QCB’s guidelines in this regard, the bank has undertaken various measures such as regular sanitization of branches, reduced branch working hours, remote banking and adoption of state-of-the-art technologies.